Hartford Stitch fabric shop Hartford Stitch Sewing Classes and Lessons Hartford Stitch Sewing Parties Hartford Stitch Contact Us! Hartford Stitch fabric, sewing parties, classes and lessons Image Map

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A Little Halloween Sewing

(Warning: Blogspot is getting antsy over any attempt I have at formatting today-- so I apologize in advance for screwiness!)

Woo hoo! Halloween is over! Am I the only one who feels that way? I don't know why, but Halloween just isn't my favorite holiday. I love how excited the kids get. I love sewing their costumes. I loved the little parade at my son's preschool, but that's the extent of it. Halloween decorations aren't my jam and there's only so much candy I can stuff myself with these days. 

But like I said, I do LOVE sewing the costumes. Usually I start in August so there's no mad rush in October-- especially since I should be well on to Christmas sewing by now. But at 3.5 years old, my son has adopted the spirit of Halloween and realized all the costume options out there so nailing one down was rough.

We spent a good month arguing whether or not he could be Batman. I wanted just one more year where the costume wasn't a "Character". So we struck a deal that next year he could be any character he wanted if this year he chose something else. He chose a scarecrow for him and a crow his little sister (win one for Mom).


I have a tendency to go bigger than necessary, so I thought I'd give myself a break this year and buy the shirt and overalls from a consignment store. My 3.5 year old wears 5T and apparently it's impossible to find overalls in that size. I had some canvas duck left over from a different project and a pajama pant pattern in his size so I ended up making some simple overalls. 

I planned on buying a straw hat, but he was very specific that a scarecrow has a pointy hat that's falling over. So there you go. 

And the hay. My original attempt didn't give him nearly enough hay to his liking, so back to the sewing machine to add more felt. 


The crow was a little more straightforward. I had some black jersey in my stash so I whipped up a pair of a leggings and found a black long sleeve shirt at a consignment store. The feathers are felt sewn on to a felt backing and attached at the sleeves and back of the neck (later removed so the shirt could still be worn). The feather tutu wasn't a big hit and I didn't even bother with a headpiece since I knew it wouldn't stay on.

She got the feel of things towards the end and would "fly" around by request.


This was the first year that my son really got into Trick-or-treating and the idea of candy. I thought it only fitting to whip up some trick or treat bags.


When my son was an infant I printed this fabric to make a play mat and then got distracted and it's been up in my studio ever since. This seemed like a perfect application for the pattern. I cut out basic 10" x 13" rectangles and the kids helped with all the sewing.


As no good deed goes unpunished, they spent most of the time fighting over who's turn it was to sit on my lap in the chair, but they really did an excellent job! Obviously all the sewing was hand over hand, but they have mastered the presser foot lever, reverse button and hand wheel! My son calls it his "sewing classes" and told me he's ready to join me teaching my other classes.

How was your Halloween? Any handmade costumes out there? We'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment