Hartford Stitch fabric shop Hartford Stitch Sewing Classes and Lessons Hartford Stitch Sewing Parties Hartford Stitch Contact Us! Hartford Stitch fabric, sewing parties, classes and lessons Image Map

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

November's Simple Sewing: Thanksgiving Napkins



Sometimes you just need a really simple project with big impact. A project that doesn't require a ton of measurements or fiddly seams or checking directions 100 times. These napkins are it for this month. I'm not going to say they're quick because I made a dozen and that took awhile, but they are simple-- and 4 wouldn't take long to make at all!

So why did I need this simple project? I get to host Friendsgiving this year!! See my happy dance?? For the past few years Sara has hosted a Thanksgiving feast for our friends-- and when I say host, I mean HOST. She cooks the entire meal and I sneak in a cheesecake at the end. Due to scheduling issues this year I get to take over and I'm psyched and obviously needed new napkins.


12 napkins required a yard of 6 different fabrics. These are about 16" square. I went to my favorite discount fabric store, Affordable Fabrics in Rocky Hill (only $2.99 a yard!), to stock up. They still had some of these great shot cottons in stocks and a nice selection of looser weave plaids so I picked up 3 colors of the plaid and 3 colors of the shot. Plaids aren't usually  my thing but they kind of screamed "Thanksgiving" so they had to come home with me.
I won't provide a tutorial, because Purl Soho, per usual, has created a wonderful one with their Running Stitch Napkins. The only thing I did differently was to serge the two sides together. The loose weave of both of these fabrics means a lot of fraying in the wash so this should help a little.
 

My original plan was to do a running stitch with gold embroidery thread, but time is running out so I settled with a copper metallic thread in my machine. It's not the same impact, but makes the napkin a little fancy.

 

Now to start defrosting that 20lb turkey... (the salted caramel cheesecake with smoked almond crust is already done!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment